Nairaland.com is probably the most visited forum in Nigeria. Interested in starting up yours? You just might be the one to upseat Nairaland, and for free too!
Probably the best platform you can start your forum on is Simple Machines Forum (SMF). It is free and very secured. But most importantly, the process involved in setting one up takes just a few minutes. The steps to take are itemised below;
1. Order for a FREE web hosting plan from arthurwales.com. You may use an existing domain name with it or you may place an order for one.
2. Log in to your CPanel. If your chosen domain name is, say, www.naijawristwatches.com, then your cpanel address is www.naijawristwatches.com/cpanel. Your login details would have been provided in a mail you received when your hosting account with arthurwales.com was activated.
3. You have a choice of an automated installation of SMF via Fantastico in your cPanel or doing it manually. You will find Fantastico under Software/Services in your Cpanel. Just Click on it and do a quick search for SMF. Installation takes a few minutes.
4. However, the best option to take would be to download the full installation zip file from http://download.simplemachines.org/, that way, you would be getting the latest version of the installation file, SMF 2.0
5. Create a database via your cpanel. Check under Databases for MySQL Database.
6. Upload the downloaded zip file to your web hosting space using the File Manager in your CPanel. Ensure the file is uploaded to the public_html folder , then extract the content there.
7. Type the following url in your browser; www.yourdomainname.com/install.php
Username and Password are your CPanel login details
With this, the installation is completed. A sample installation of SMF forum can be viewed at www.artwal.es
PS: If you get stuck or you will rather not attempt the installation, subscription to arthurwales.com web hosting qualifies you for a free installation. Submit your request at www.facebook.com/diaryofageek