Big ups to Uncle Jobs, the Apple app store was finally made available to us Third World folks in Nigeria. Not that i blame the guy for the delay, afterall, how much do we contribute to Apple’s bottom line, if at all.
The joy of this “immense feat” was however short-lived when a disturbing aspect of this multi-store arrangement began to unfold. For some unexplainable reasons, a lot of choice apps are not available in the Nigeria App store and stores of some other countries. It is unimaginable that popular apps like Google+ and Facebook Messenger are not available in the Nigerian store. What are they thinking? Barring all odds, the population of facebook users in Nigeria is quite sizeable.
Anyways, enough said. If you are interested in creating an Apple store ID for the United States store without a credit card or gift card, the steps to take is described below;
– Make sure you are signed out from iTunes application on your computer.
– Preferably, scroll down to bottom of your iTunes screen and click “Change Country”. Select United States.
– Click on App Store
– Scroll down to the section labelled “Free Apps” on the right side of iTunes
– Select any FREE app. I chose Facebook Messenger. Click on the “Free” icon.
The following screen pops up;
– Click on “Create New Account”
Ensure you are still in the United States store. Look at the portion highlighted in the image above.
– Select “None” as Payment Method. Notice in the image below that your Country/Region is still displayed as United States.
– Click “Continue” to get the screen displayed below. A verification email would be sent to your chosen email address.
The screen below would be displayed after verification has been completed, after which your selected app (Facebook Messenger) would commence download.
Hope this run down comes useful to someone out there.