A few weeks back, i wrote about Xbox Music, a Windows 8 app that gives you access to an estimated 30 million+ of songs to stream for free on your PC (Online or Offline mode), on the web and on your android & iOS tablets or phones .
This music service, however, has at least 2 major flaws;
- The mobile apps does not have an offline mode. You can only stream music online – Data services required!
- At US$9.99 monthly subscription fee, it is not competitive.
For those of us living in Africa – except, perhaps, South Africa – we have very limited music service options. Popular services like Spotify, Rdio, Rhapsody, Google Play Music and Amazon are just not available.
It was only by chance that i stumbled on this less known music service called Deezer. It boasts of a presence in a whooping 182 countries, including Nigeria. The first thing that struck me was the similarity in its song database and that of Xbox Music.
The following are what i will consider as the strengths of this service;
- Seemingly similar song database to Microsoft’s Xbox.
- A more affordable US$4.99 (NGN850) subscription fee per month, giving you access to 30 million+ music tracks including Nigerian hit tracks .
- Offers mobile apps for iOS, Android, Windows Phone and BlackBerry platforms.
- Offline music playback both on the desktop PC and on your mobile devices.
Fortunately, Deezer offers a 15 day trial. You have nothing to lose, why not give it a try?